The Moulin Rouge opened in 1955. It relished great success for eight months including being a cover girl for LIFE magazine. Boxing legend Joe Louis was the official greeter and one of the owners. The Moulin Rouge was an establishment on the west side that welcomed black guests and entertainers during a time when many others didn’t. It was known for having the shortest lifespan of any Las Vegas hotel, but one with a strong impact. The Moulin Rouge has since closed and opened many times over the years for various reasons and became a historic site in 1992. It was built on the edge of the the original McWilliams town site, which is more recently known as 900 W. Bonanza Road. Sadly, it burned to the ground on May 29, 2003, and chances are it will never be rebuilt.